Personal Injury Claims / Accident Checklist
At the Scene of an Accident – 5 things you need to do:
- Get medical attention – The first thing you need to do is to get medical attention. If your injuries are serious, then go to hospital; otherwise, seeing your doctor later that day or as soon as you can arrange it is reasonable. Seeking a doctor’s advice is important.
- Get info – The second thing you need to do is get the name and contact information of the driver AND owner of the car that caused the accident. This is IMPORTANT. Get their Driver’s license and vehicle plate number.
- Police? If you believe the circumstances of the accident are suspicious or if it is a serious collision, then call the police.
- Witnesses? The next thing to do is look for any witnesses and take down their name and telephone number. Witnesses can be crucial in determining fault for an accident. And,
- Call Insurer – You need to call your insurer (whether it is ICBC or some other insurance company) to notify them of the collision. Report the date, location, names of parties involved, and any other relevant information. And, oh yeah, don’t forget to call us for a free legal consultation. [rule]